Passive residence in Andorra: residence without gainful employment or tax residence
The new immigration legislation has gone from speaking of passive residency to speaking of resident permits without work, distinguishing 2 different models:
- Residence permits for internationally acclaimed professionals.
- Residence permits for reasons of scientific, cultural and sports interest.
In general terms, the non-lucrative residence models (passive or residency without work in Andorra) have been designed for physical persons who are not from Andorra and who set up their main residence here for all purposes, with a minimum presence in the country of 90 days per year. These permits are granted for a period of 1 year and can be renewed upon expiry for the following successive periods: 3 years + 3 years + 10 years (a special treaty applies to Spanish, Portuguese and French nationals).
These permits require the following documentation and processes:
- Impeccable police report with no criminal record.
- Passport and marriage certificate.
- Bank certificate accrediting the required deposit of €50,000 in the INAF (Andorran National Finance Agency), with an additional deposit of €10,000 per dependent.
- The original sale or rental contracts corresponding to a property in Andorra.
- Proof of insurance covering disability, illness and retirement (if the person is over age 60, he/she will only need to present proof of health insurance).
- They must pass a medical examination carried out by the medical department of the Andorran Immigration Agency.
- Proof of economic solvency: display proof of income greater than 300% of the minimum wage in Andorra (plus an additional 100% for each dependent).
- Applicants must invest €400,000 in Andorra. As part of the application process, this investment can be made in real estate in Andorra; it can be a bank deposit, an investment in an Andorran company; or it can take the form of an interest-free deposit in the INAF (Andorran National Finance Agency). This last requirement is not a necessary for applicants who are currently active in sports, art or research and development.
For non-lucrative residence permits for internationally acclaimed professionals or for applicants of scientific, cultural or sports interest, the applicants must also meet the following requirements:
- The base from which the person carries out his/her distinguished activity must be established in the Principality of Andorra.
- The applicant must have at least one employee with an official work contract.
- At least 85% of the professional activities must be carried out outside of Andorra.
- The applicant must present a business plan for direct evaluation and approval by the Government of the Principality of Andorra.